Call for Papers, Special Issue of Housing and Society
“Housing in the Countryside”
Guest Editor: Ann Ziebarth, University of Minnesota
The research journal of the Housing Education and Research Association, Housing and Society, announces a call for papers to appear in a special issue of the journal related to the theme, “Housing in the Countryside,” guest edited by Ann Ziebarth, Professor, University of Minnesota.
Beyond the city and beyond the suburbs, housing remains a challenge for individuals, families and communities. This special issue of Housing and Society will highlight the context and conundrums of providing adequate, affordable, and appropriate housing in the countryside. For example:
- What is the role of housing in rural economic development?
- How do communities address the housing needs of a population that is becoming more diverse?
- How is the increasing proportion of older adults converting their seasonal homes to year-round retirement living affecting rural communities?
- What are the unique challenges of providing housing and supportive services in remote rural locations?
- How are communities coping to house workers in the booming economy of energy development regions such as the Bakken Oil field in North Dakota?
- What is the impact of long standing programs to provide home weatherization assistance for low-income rural families?
- How do rural housing policies compare in the United States and around the world?
- How might the emerging discipline of rural design contribute to addressing unique challenges for housing planning in rural areas?
- What sustainable solutions have been developed to address housing energy needs resulting from worldwide climate change?
Examining “Housing in the Countryside,” this special issue will contribute to filling the gap in literature addressing nonmetropolitan housing in the United States and around the world. The special issue invites authors to submit scholarly papers based on their current research, academic teaching strategies, successful program designs, or policy analysis.
- You are invited to submit a full manuscript by January 14, 2014. Submit an electronic version of your manuscript as an email attachment and note “special issue submission” in the subject line to email@example.com. Also, mail four printed copies to Ann Ziebarth, Guest Editor, Housing Studies Program, University of Minnesota, 1985 Buford Avenue, Saint Paul, MN 55108. Include a $35 check made out to HERA to cover the review fee.
- Authors should follow the journal of Housing and Society guidelines for manuscript submission (see guidelines at http://www.housingeducators.org/MEMAREA/HandSJmanguidelines.shtml).
- All manuscripts will go through a blind-review process with final decisions regarding acceptance for publication by March 21, 2014.
- Publication of the special issue will be in 2014.
If you have any questions about this special issue, please contact Ann Ziebarth, firstname.lastname@example.org.